Overview of Total Parenteral Nutrition
Nurses and other interested healthcare providers are welcome to enroll!
Parenteral nutrition is a solution that is given intravenously to a patient who is unable to consume, digest, or absorb nutrients via the GI tract or those who require increased nutritional supplementation. This 2-hour online program provides a comprehensive overview of total parenteral nutrition (TPN).
Included in this course is a video presentation given by Kay Coulter, CRNI®, VA-BC™ and a downloadable handout.
We recommend that this online course be followed by skills practice/validation with a qualified clinical preceptor at your place of employment.
Content will include:
- History and development of parenteral nutrition
- Identification of appropriate patient candidates
- Composition of basic nutritional solution
- Proper methods of administration
- Patient monitoring
- Potential complications and recommended interventions
NOTE: The practice of I.V. Therapy must be performed according to an individual’s State scope of practice for their discipline and/or level of licensure.