Peripheral IV Catheter Insertion: Overview & Demonstration
Post-graduate nursing students, Respiratory Therapists, Medical Assistants, and other interested healthcare providers are welcome to enroll!
This 4.5-hour program provides a comprehensive review of current peripheral venous access devices and the peripheral IV catheter insertion procedure, as well as site care and maintenance recommendations. Both, traditional short peripheral IV catheters and peripheral midlines will be discussed.
Included in this course is a video presentation given by Kay Coulter, CRNI®, VA-BC™, a live peripheral IV catheter insertion demonstration, and a downloadable handout.
We recommend that this online course be followed by skills practice/validation with a qualified clinical preceptor at your place of employment.
Content will include:
- In-depth review of tips for successful vein access and catheter insertion
- Video presentation of a live peripheral IV catheter insertion
- Identification of the main peripheral veins available for the insertion of a peripheral IV catheter
- Methods of proper vein assessment
- Accepted methods to prepare the skin prior to IV catheter insertion
- Proper IV catheter insertion procedural steps
- Appropriate infusates for peripheral vein delivery to prevent chemical phlebitis
- Proper use of peripheral midlines
- Potential complications and recommended interventions
Click here to Purchase Online Course
NOTE: The practice of I.V. Therapy must be performed according to an individual’s State scope of practice for their discipline and/or level of licensure. It is the responsibility of each participant to maintain his or her level of proficiency on an annual basis.