“IV Certification” – Medical Assistants / Unlicensed Personnel
Online certificate program designed for Medical Assistants and other interested unlicensed healthcare personnel!
This 11-hour IV Therapy Certificate Program (often referred to as “IV Certification”) is designed to provide Medical Assistants (and other unlicensed healthcare personnel) with an introduction and overview of IV therapy, including current standards of practice, special patient populations, legal aspects, a comprehensive review of current peripheral venous access devices and the peripheral IV catheter insertion procedure, as well as site care and maintenance recommendations. IV medication & fluid administration considerations are also discussed.
Included in this course is a video presentation given by Kay Coulter, CRNI®, VA-BC™, a live peripheral IV catheter insertion demonstration, and a downloadable handout.
We currently partner with St. Petersburg College to offer our online content along with a HANDS-ON IV SKILLS LAB component in Clearwater, Florida. We also offer an online only course option below.
Register for Course with IV Skills Lab
- Current standards and guidelines that apply to the delivery of IV therapy
- Correct use of infusion therapy equipment
- In-depth review of tips for successful vein access and catheter insertion
- Negligence and how it relates to IV therapy practice in healthcare
- Special considerations for IV therapy delivery to pediatric and geriatric patients
- Video presentation of a live peripheral IV catheter insertion
- Identification of the main peripheral veins available for the insertion of a peripheral IV catheter
- Methods of proper vein assessment
- Accepted methods to prepare the skin prior to IV catheter insertion
- Proper IV catheter insertion procedural steps
- Appropriate infusates for peripheral vein delivery to prevent chemical phlebitis
- Proper use of peripheral midlines
- Potential complications and recommended interventions
- Methods of IV medication administration
- Actions required to accompish safe IV medication administration
- Proper method for calculating an IV medication dosage
- Review of selected IV antibiotics and drug incombatibilities
- IV fluids and considerations for administration
Content will include:
Click here to Purchase Online Only Course
If you choose to complete the online only course, we strongly recommend that it be followed by supervised hands-on skills practice/validation with a qualified clinical preceptor at your place of employment.
NOTE: The practice of IV therapy must be performed according to an individual’s State scope of practice for their discipline and/or level of licensure. It is the responsibility of each participant to maintain his or her level of proficiency on an annual basis.